Mosh (mobile shell)
Remote terminal application that allows *roaming*, supports *intermittent connectivity*, and provides intelligent *local echo* and line editing of user keystrokes. Mosh is a replacement for SSH. It’s more robust and responsive, especially over Wi-Fi, cellular, and long-distance links. Mosh is free software, available for GNU/Linux, BSD, macOS, Solaris, Android, and Chrome.
For more information visit: mosh.org/
Voice Alarm Encoders (VAE) from Midian Electronics can have a voice message stored in them. When the emergency input is grounded the VAE will transmit an emegency ANI (i.e. MDC1200, DTMF, etc.) and the prerecorded voice message. The VAE-10 is a desktop box unit and the VAE-1 series are modules that can be wired or plugged into a two-way radio. For portable application there is the VAE-1-SM1 available in a speaker microphone.
Here are some common applications:
- Equipment Failure Notification : The input of the VAE can be connected to equipment such as tower lights or backup generator, so that when the tower light goes out it can send a voice message stating “Tower 3 light is off.” This warning can be sent periodically multiple times or continuously until reset. For backup power, when the backup is activated a message such as “Backup power is on.”
- Emergency Alert: Public safety dispatchers do not want field radio users to talk on a channel without need when there is an active emergency. The dispatch can have the VAE send a voice message such as “Emergency alert keep channel clear.” This message can be sent periodically until reset.
- Emergency Location and Lone Worker: The VAE is ideal for providing voice location messages for Public Safety (firefighters and police) or for lone workers in areas where GPS location is not available. Such as when in a large multiple floor structure or underground. If the emergency input is activated (by a button press or the lone-worker/man-down feature) then the VAE will send an emergency ANI to identify to the dispatcher who is in trouble and then the voice message will follow to inform the dispatcher the distressed worker’s last recorded location. This enables the rescuers to concentrate their search efforts in one area of the building rather than splitting their search efforts between ten stories. Locator tones can also be generated to provide an audible alert to the searchers.
For more information on Midian’s voice alarm encoders visit their website at www.midians.com. Let them know you heard about the Voice Alarm Encoders via Technology Frontier.
High Speed Multi Media (HSMM) is often referred to as being the Hinternet (Ham Internet), as it is primarily used under FCC Rules & Regulations Part 97. Under Part 97 commercial off-the-shelf equipment can be used at higher power and higher gain than the more common Part 15 802.11a/b/g operations.
The primary purpose for HSMM and Hinternet is to augment emergency communications via long range high speed wireless data networks that can handle voice, data and video communications. HSMM can also be used in the day-to-day aspects of Amateur Radio Communications.
The Fit …
With the rapid expansion of Asterisk PBX into the relm of radio communications the added flexibility of having a wireless linking system has also expanded.
It is now possible to have a network of repeaters and link stations that never touch a standard public switched telephone network, yet at the same time this network of repeaters and link stations has all the standard features one will expect to find with any telephone system.
By integrating HSMM along with Asterisk PBX a truly transportable network can be delivered to any location where communications is needed, with voice, data and video all being available to the agencies and organizations being supported.
Learn more about High Speed Multi Media (HSMM)
A place where new technology is discovered.
This is a interface for the Asterisk app_rpt radio control.
URI – USB Radio Interface
- Connect two-way radio to PC
- Fast and easy!
- $$ Very low cost $$
- USB Interface – no need to open PC case
- Open source: asterisk, app_rpt
- Connect to radio’s interface connector
- Optional configuration EEPROM
- High-quality full-duplex audio
- Optional high level op-amp
- 3 User I/Os
More information is available at: